Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Anti-aliasing — Gideros Forum

Anti-aliasing

moopfmoopf Guru
edited February 2012 in General questions
Hi,

Just a quick question, is there any way to setup anti-aliasing? In my scaling tests on sprites, the results are jagged so I'm wondering if I'm missing an option that I can set somewhere. I've tried some searches on the forums and in the API documentation for Beta 8 but can't find anything.

Any help appreciated :)

Cheers,

Gareth

Comments

• atilimatilim Maintainer
    edited February 2012
    Hi,

You can load the textures with filtering:
    local texture = Texture.new("filename.png", true)
    Edit:Also putting a 1 pixel transparent border around your texture makes the edges look smooth.

cheers, :)
    +1 -1 (+3 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Ah thanks for that, that's just what I needed - I was looking for the wrong thing, or rather looking for something on an app level rather than per texture level.

As for a 1 pixel border, I do that as a matter of course anyway but it's definitely worth pointing out - hopefully somebody else will find that tip useful as well.

By the way @atilim, I've been really happy with how my first couple of days have gone with Gideros (and the support here is great as well). I'll be sticking with it and buying a license as soon as they're available.
    edited February 2012
    Thank you @moopf, for your cooperation also. You've raised very good points that makes me think again and again :)

Surprisingly, we've just started to sell Gideros Studio licenses for individuals, indie gamers and professional companies (we've enabled the membership and payment module 10 minutes ago :) )

Whenever you feel ready to purchase a license, go to Download page (for v2012.2). You'll be redirected to a registration page where you can download for free, and then purchase.

Thank you,
  • Hi @atilim, that's fantastic. I've just purchased it :D
    To tell the truth, this is one of the most exciting moments of my life :) Thank you :)

+1 -1 (+2 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • Expect my purchase by the end of the month. Well done.

Now get it tweeted so I can re-tweet your message and get the word out there.

Mike

What would you do for your other half?

http://www.sharksoupstudios.com
    +1 -1 (+1 / -0 )Share on Facebook
  • gorkemgorkem Maintainer
    Will do once the blog page is there :)
  • @atilim, I'm sure it is. Enjoy it! So pleased I came across Gideros when I did.

• Wow, glad I came across this post, the filtering REALLY helps my app as I am using a Droid X for testing on a live device and it uses a much higher res compared to the old iPhones etc. This little trick made my game look way better on the actual device--always looked good on the emulator of course :)
    ThumbHurt Games / FB: ThumbHurt Games / FB: Eli/Teranth | Skype: teranth37
  • @atilim, by chance is there any way to turn filters on for the shape objects? I am pretty intent on using full on SVG in my next releases but the shape rendering in Gideros leaves the vector graphics rather rough edged at the current time.

Even if the filter was applied to the shape object after it's been drawn maybe? Any thoughts? You guys are always great here :)
    ThumbHurt Games / FB: ThumbHurt Games / FB: Eli/Teranth | Skype: teranth37
  • totebototebo Member
    edited November 2013
    I use Texture Packer. How do I enable the filtering flag when using getTextureRegion()? This code doesn't seem to work (the bitmaps are not antialiased)
    texturePacker = TexturePack.new("spritesheet.txt", "spritesheets/spritesheet.png")
    local texture = texturePacker:getTextureRegion( texture_path, true )
    Niclas
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com
  • I use Texture Packer. How do I enable the filtering flag when using getTextureRegion()? This code doesn't seem to work (the bitmaps are not antialiased)
    texturePacker = TexturePack.new("spritesheet.txt", "spritesheets/spritesheet.png")
    local texture = texturePacker:getTextureRegion( texture_path, true )
    Niclas
    I think you have to put the true in the first part to act on the texture pack's png:
    texturePacker = TexturePack.new("spritesheet.txt", "spritesheets/spritesheet.png",true)
    local texture = texturePacker:getTextureRegion( texture_path)

• Bingo. Adding the true parameter to TexturePack did the trick. Thanks!

Niclas
    My Gideros games: www.totebo.com