Quick Links: Download Gideros Studio | Gideros Documentation | Gideros Development Center | Gideros community chat | DONATE
Intro & Question [Project structure vs File system structure] — Gideros Forum

Intro & Question [Project structure vs File system structure]

falofalo Member
edited February 2012 in General questions
Hi all. I've been playing around with Gideros and came across something I wanted to find out more about so figured it was a good opportunity to say hi before asking my question. I'm an ex-developer based in London who doesn't get to write any software at work any more so have turned to mobile development to keep my hand in and learn some new things. Unfortunately I don't get a lot of time to invest into this so haven't been as active as I might like. Made a small puzzle game for Android devices using libgdx towards the end of last year and so have been looking for something different to try for my next project - Gideros seems perfect as there's little overhead needed to get me up and running and I get to learn something new (lua).

Anyway, my question was around project structure. As far as I can tell from my first foray into Gideros Studio, there is no direct link between the Gideros project structure and the file system. Folders created in Gideros are virtual and any physical (filesystem) files / folders are just references so can live anywhere relative to the project root (not necessarily below it).

OK, so far so good. So I guess my question is twofold:
1. Is there an easy way to enforce a project structure <-> filesystem structure relationship? i.e. I always want to have my project exactly reflect how it appears on disk without having to manually sync. If I create a folder in gideros I'd like to see a directory created on the fs and if I import a file / create a file I want to see a copy in my project folder on the fs.
2. To the more general audience, do people think this distinction between the project and filesystem is important? I'd be interested in use cases that people have where they leverage this situation.

Comments